Monday, September 17, 2007

I didn't know the meaning of intense.. I do now.

It's Monday, Sept 17th at 5:40pm. Nikki, Teresa and I are in Bangkok, Thailand, waiting to leave for Mumbai.

We spent 1.5 days in Phuket over the weekend, taking a break and splitting up the long China
-> India journey.

We were scheduled to fly from Phuket to Bangkok and then onto Mumbai yesterday.

At 3:45pm, our plane was on the runway, next in line for take-off when the an extremely powerful squall hit the airport. Nikki and I looked at each other and asked.. "Are we really taking off in this???"

We didn't, because the same time we were sitting on that tarmack getting ready to leave, the One Two Go Jet crashed on the runway.

It was sad and surreal and scary and the next 24 hours were dedicated trying to Bangkok. We ended up taking a three hour bus ride to Krabi, where Thai Air had a jet waiting to get all of its passengers to our destination. They were wonderful and took very good care of us.

We are about to leave for Mumbai, safe and sound, and happy to be ok.

jen

1 comment:

jmoons said...

I am happy to hear you are all safe:)
I am really enjoying read the blog and checking out all the great pics.
Thank you all for making the time to keep this going.
Jeff W gave me a Korea Softimage shirt very cool :)
Save travels!!!